05 May 2007

Happy Cinco de Mayo

And here I thought I'd be spending the 5th in Iraq. No such luck. Kuwait is still my home for a few days (maybe less) and that's fine for now, just as long as Baskin Robbins still keeps sending ice cream for the mess hall. :) Oh, the steak and crabs was just as I had expected; boiled and rubberized. I passed on the rubber crab legs but opted for the steak which was difficult to eat due to the plastic utensils they give us. I'll give them a 10 for effort though. Tonight is probably going to be a Mexican theme since it is the 5th of May, but if all goes well we'll be on a plane heading north before dinner time. That's too bad as I would like to see the middle eastern culture's attempt at Mexican food.

Went to the rifle range two days ago to re-zero our weapons. It was more like a open piece of desert with a few targets instead of an actual range. It was hot, and for the first time ever in my army experience, we had to call a cease fire due to the fact that there were camels on the range. I'd post pictures, but the system here is pretty slow to accept any uploads of files. I'll post them later when I get decent access.

Besides that, not much to report as we are doing a lot of waiting. If patience is a virtue, then our group should be on the short list for sainthood. Morale is a little low at times, just because things are changing so much (pack your bags, don't pack your bags, pack only one bag, now pack the little bag, make sure you have your left combat boot socks in the right pocket of your ruck sack...). It will get better soon. Life without my luggage was a curse at first, but now it's not so bad since I don't have much option on what I can and cannot pack. The bags are suppose to arrive today at our locale, but that's one of those "I'll believe it when it actually happens" type things. It has cause a lot of heartache for everyone and we blame our S4 (supply guy) for it being all screwed up. In fact, we beat up on our S4 quite a bit because he constantly drops the ball on all of our supply issues (plus he smells). Did I mention that CPT Brendan is our S4? :) Actually, he's doing a great job of rolling with the punches and he does receive a lot of uneccesary heartburn for things he can't control. The only reason I mention him is because I know he hasn't contacted his mother (which we harp on him about) and I wanted her to know that he is doing fine. He does, however, smell, which is probably due to the fact that he doesn't have any clean clothes (which is the reason why I smell too).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you were able to watch the Kentucky Derby and found a way to make mint juleps. Surely your southern buddies had some fresh mint with them...:) Keep safe.

Anonymous said...

From the MOM,

You will never guess who I heard from today. Yes, Mr. S4 himself.
Thanks for the prodding and I can send some instrument of torture if futher and more intense prodding is needed.

And boys, try to avoid any accidents since you have no clean underware. (the ultimate mother admonition)

Thanks for all the info. It is very comforting. I owe you a chicken dinner (ask Brendan about that)

Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

From the MOM

Oops in the throes of admnonishing (pretty heady stuff) I spelled underwear wrong.

Didn't want to embarass Brendan any more that I absolutely had to.

KDMalone said...

Thanks for posting--and for keeping us updated on Brendan as well!