13 May 2007

Day of Rest 5/12/07

Day of rest 05/13/07
.
.
Besides being Sunday and Mother's Day, today is the 1 week mark
that I've been in Baghdad. I know that starting this early for a
countdown will do little for my morale, but knowing that I only have 51
more weeks ahead of me gives me a sense of accomplishment, even if it's
only a little bit. I have a program on my computer called the "Baghdad
Donut" which calculates how long I've been here and how long I have left
to go and graphs it on a donut to show the progress. According to
today's donut, I'm 4% through my deployment. Again, it's disheartening
to look at, yet I open it every day for some masochistic reason.
.
I also decided that today would be my "rest" day from working out.
6 days a week of hitting the gym should be enough to keep me in shape
and my body needs a recovery day. It all sounds good but to tell you
the truth, I just didn't want to get up and run today. The way I see
it, I worked late last night and I woke up from a restless night's sleep
on the world's most uncomfortable bed this morning so I was justified in
just blowing off the gym. Maybe I'll abandon the whole "keeping fit"
idea and try to see how much weight I can gain (like some of my
counterparts who deployed with me are consciously doing). You know, in
some Asian cultures, being fat is a sign of wealth since only the
richest individuals can afford to gourd themselves with all the food
they want. Or, I could be a sumo in training and eat 2 lbs of bacon and
two dozen eggs every day! I could work on growing multiple chins and
fat elbows! On second thought, maybe I'll just stick to my work out
plan and not turn all slothy and such.
.
.
Interesting fact of the day: "Bula" means hello in Fijian. I know this
because a) I'm reading a book about island life in the South Pacific and
b) the contract company that was hired to provide security for our base
is comprised mostly of AK wielding Fijians. They are all very friendly
and very laid back, but rumor has it that they are very fierce fighters.
Thank goodness we hired them before the insurgents did!

3 comments:

Mom of three in Michigan said...

Two things come to mind. One is that even God rested on the seventh day. The second one is that a count down can be helpful. It helps you see how far you have to go and then at the end how far you have come. I do my count down during work outs. I am sure others are counting down too. Take care!

Anonymous said...

May as well plunge your mind into the historical place you have been sent to; after you are done with your Fiji book, you might try one on Genghis Khan that I found great to read. If you want, I will send it to you. Least I can do for my homepage. Stay safe.

knockedup said...

Don't think you could get fat if you tried. You have to actually slow down to become a fatty and I can't imagine with your energy level you'd ever be able to achieve that...mind sending some of that energy over here?