11 May 2007

Food 5/9/07

Food 5/9/07

Food. Without it, I'd be living in an eternal hell of a liquid diet,
and I speak from experiences when I say that ain't fun. Although not as
important as air or water, your body needs it to function. Because it
is so vital to one's existence, the military decided that they will
provide us with as much as we can eat. Gone are the days of the stingy
Ft. Benning mess server who dished out 3 miniature meetballs, no more,
no less, as if the nation was emergency rationing burger and meat
fillers. Here in the IZ, just like Kuwait, they give us the ability to
eat ourselves into oblivion with the Golden Coral style "all you can
stuff your gullet" buffet of food. It is very easy to lose track of how
much you are piling on your tray since you want to try everything, and
before you know it, your forearms are reaching muscle failure before you
can make it to an empty table to devour the mountain of viddles you've
accumulated. I'm doing my best to be responsible for my own fitness and
for the most part I try to make good choices in the food I get, but
again, Baskin Robbins has decided that they will do their part for the
war and send tubs upon tubs of real ice cream here, and the friendly
Pakistani gentleman who mans the scoops is just too generous with the
Pralines and Cream and Mint Chocolate Chip to resist. Why do they
torture us so? Why do they serve ice cream for both lunch and dinner?
Why don't they serve it for breakfast too?!! People have told me that
you'll lose weight during a deployment because wearing the body armor
all the time is like a workout in itself, but I don't think those people
had access to the sweet goodness of Baskin Robbins, for if they did,
they would have told me to wear my stretchy pants to war.

Interesting fact of the day: In Iraq, the doors are all backward. When
you enter a building or a room, the door is a "pull" instead of a
"push". This results in entertaining displays of soldiers performing
body slams into doors that cause a Three-Stooges style chain reaction of
the soldiers behind them crashing into one another.

No comments: