10 March 2007

Tres

Tres!

In my rock swimming class at school, we had this move called the “bob and travel”. It’s where you dunk yourself underwater and go straight to the bottom of the pool and then push yourself off at a 45 degree angle to pop out of the water at a different location. Later on, we adapted this phrase to the bobbing motion that one’s head makes when they are fighting to stay awake in a dry lecture. Despite the large amounts of coffee I guzzled down, and I don’t drink coffee, I think I almost broke my neck trying to appear attentive.

I think the classes were good and of the little bit I stayed conscious for, I think I will be able to use most of the information when I deploy. A majority of it was just common sense, but there were some things that I think the soldiers who have deployed before us might not have known and their actions could have rubbed the natives the wrong way. Learning things like how to negotiate with a culture that seals deals with a handshake rather than a signature on a contract, or how work meetings will be divvied 90/10 between socializing and business, arms us with a great deal of knowledge that will come in handy.

No night fire tonight, so the CPT Mafia might go out for some dinner. I’m going to miss my truck. :(

No comments: