02 March 2007

Fortune

Fortune

The meals I ate during my college days were far from exciting, except for the pizza pockets, pudding pops, and corn chowder which were days to look forward to with much anticipation. The other meals were by no means bad, but despite their best efforts to mix up the menu, you were eventually eating the same thing again and again. The meals in the DFAC (dining facility) here at Fort Riley are similar. I’ve only been eating here for going on 3 weeks now, but you can’t help but notice the meal rotation, or the creative ways they turn today’s left over noodles into tomorrow’s beef stroganoff. So, in order to not get into a rut, one of the captains from my team decided that today was the day for us to order in Chinese food. The hot and spicy shrimp I ordered wasn’t the best I’ve ever had, but it helped to break up the monotony of the mess hall food.



Here is the fortune cookie I received today with my Styrofoam container of rice and shrimp. In a tradition that I can trace back to my college days when we would make the cheesy fortunes more fun by adding “...in bed” to the end of the saying, I did the same today. The suffix really didn’t make much sense when applied this fortune, but I kind of hope that this fortune comes true without the “in bed” part when the mail clerks make their delivers tonight.

No comments: