31 January 2007

Shape

Shape

I always hear people talking about getting into shape. I tell them that a circle is a shape, so is a pear, and I would even go so far as saying that the silhouette of a snowman could also be considered a shape. I say this because I’m not in the best physical shape that I could be in, despite my new “status” as a member of the military. I did some remedial PT at Benning and even did a few runs on my own, but I’m far from being in the physical condition that I was, say half a year ago. Plus, eating mess hall food, sitting on my rump in class all day, and challenging people to eating contests doesn’t help matters much. In an attempt to get rid of my slothiness, I’ve been going to the gym each day for about an hour. I’ve hit the cardio pretty hard and today was no different. I donned my MP3 and got on an empty treadmill to see if I could run some baggage off of me. Normally, I don’t like to use a treadmill, or a stair climber, or any stationary exercise machine that tries to replicate what a person can do on their own, but with the thermometer on the truck telling me that the single digit temps outside were not conducive for my thin Texas blood to be running in, I made an exception.

Running is a great feeling, especially once you get past the pain shooting through the knees, the gasping for breath, and the sensation that you are going to collapse at any minute. Oddly enough, I actually enjoy running, but have had some injuries that prevented me from running on a regular basis like I use to and getting back into the groove has been a challenge. The treadmill allows me to be easier on the old knees and I can do things to keep my attention occupied like watching TV, or in this case, watch myself run in a big full length mirror placed directly in front of the treadmill. Nothing is more discouraging than seeing your body giggle as you try to exercise. I tried to divert my attention from the mirror and just focused on running and listening to the music on my MP3. I have a mix of music on there and before too long, I was listening to Lee Dorsey’s “Working in a Coal Mine”. That song always reminds me of Texas. It takes me back to being 7 years old and riding in the back of a pickup truck on the way to West Cliff Park with my brother and my Uncle Pat. I haven’t heard much from my uncle lately. He seems to have fallen off the face of the earth and all the things I hear about him are through the grapevine. I’d call him if he ever answered his phone. He is a big reason why I’m here now, back in the Army, at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, running my ass off in front of a mirror that I can’t stand to look at. Whether he knew it or not, he had a great influence on me and why I joined the Army. I remember him leaving for basic when I use to live in central Texas and seeing him in his uniform when he would come home and buy my brother and I GI Joes. I admired him and what he was doing, just like I admired my dad for serving in the Army and his father serving in the Navy before him. I don’t know if I can explain why I’m here or convey the reasons in a coherent way of why I didn’t resign my commission which ultimately led to me being in a state of uncertainty, but certain that I will end up in an unstable Iraq or Afghanistan. What I do know is that I’m proud of the people in my life who have served. Today, as I listened to that song and burned the fuel that I’ve been so busy storing in the last few weeks, I am proud of my uncle, wherever he is, and I hope that he is proud of his time in uniform.

Even though I have access to the internet, it seems like there are problems with the blog site. I’ve been trying to post for the past few days and it keeps giving me issues. I’ll try to write when I can when the system is up, in between cramming my head with engineer knowledge and getting rid of my Sumo figure.


My poor truck covered in snow

Can you tell that I dislike snow?


4 comments:

Toni said...

I understand why you didn't resign your commission even though it's hard to explain...it's the same reason I haven't either. And I'm proud of the people in my life that have served too--and you're one of them!!!

Mom of three in Michigan said...

It takes a lot to do what you are doing. Fighting for your countr. I am extremely proud and thankful for to you, your father, uncle, grandfather, my uncle, my grandfathers and all the many men and women who have served. Thank you!

On the cold part, it seems no matter where we live whether in the UP of Michigan or in Texas, nobody likes the cold. It is suppose to be below zero this weekend and working with customers many of them are planning on staying indoors.

lizza8902 said...

I had no idea that Uncle Pat had anything to do with you joining the army. I am thankful for you and all that have served, but I am also sad that you have to go. I haven't heard much about him either, actually you have probably heard more about him than me. Anyway I hope he is doing better.

Also I don't want to hear anything about your figure, or lack there of. I need to lose a lot of weight just for health reasons, I should be at the weight that I was after my first surgery, just finding a beter way to lose it. Once I return to work that should help though. And as far as the snow, send som our way. We had a couple days with Central Texas "snow" but that was it.
Take care,
Love and miss ya.

garyohdare said...

jabba the hut was a shape also...