02 February 2007

Conversations

Conversations

Just to give you an idea of how things are going here, let me replay a conversation I had with on of the instructors here:

Me: “So, what am I here to learn today?”
Instructor: “What do you want to learn?”
Me: “Well, this is your class, isn’t it? What do you teach?”
Instructor: “I teach a lot of things. What do you want to know?”
Me: “I’m not sure. The unit I’m going to said that I had to come here for engineer refresher training.”
Instructor: “What do you want to be refreshed on?”
Me: “Hmm. Not sure on that one. Since I’m an engineer captain, I guess engineering stuff. Can you give me any updates of changes in the military engineering system since I got out a few years back? You know, new computer programs or techniques that they are using now that they didn’t use 6 years ago?”
Instructor: “What kind of changes are you referring to?”
Me: “I don’t know. I was hoping you could tell me of anything that I need to know in order to do my job.”
Instructor: “What will you be doing?”
Me: “I don’t know that one either. They haven’t told me yet.”
Instructor: “Well, I’m not sure what to teach you. What do you want to be taught?”
Me: “Maybe anything that I need to know in theater that will help me do my job better.”
Instructor: “What will you be doing?”
Me: “I told you already, I don’t know.”
Instructor: “Then why are you here?”
Me: “Because they told me to come here.”
Instructor: “Why?”
Me: “I don’t know. Something about supporting the war effort and stuff like that. Look, they called me back into active duty and I’m just following orders. I just need to know what I’m doing here.”
Instructor: “I’m not sure. Who sent you here?”
Me: “The Army did.”
Instructor: “Who is this ‘Army’ that you speak of?”
Me: “I’m going back to my room. Please call me if you can find something to teach me.”

Okay, maybe I embellished the last bit a little, but for the most part, it’s a reflection of how things have been here for the past week. I think today we made some headway towards some specialized training which was a big boost in morale. See, I’m not completely cynical! I found the positive in this situation, although it DID take some digging.

7 comments:

Big Bend said...

MAN! and you get paid to do that too!!!

Look for me a job over in the sand box. I want a retire in a few years and need some really good income for put away. :-)

Big Bend said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Big Bend said...

Sir Yes Sir, I just want to drive the dozer, SIR!

From Stirker Brigade News
Soldiers Tear Down Past to Build the Future
Feb- 2-2007 » (0) Comments » Filed Under: 3/2 SBCT

By Sgt. Jon Cupp, 1st BCT, 1st Cav. Div. Public Affairs

Related Images

HUSAYNIYAH, Iraq – Iraqi Army troops from the 5th Special Troops Company, 2nd Brigade, 9th Iraqi Army Division (Mechanized), Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 37th Field Artillery Regiment and Army engineers from the 92nd Engineer Battalion, 3rd Infantry Division tore down remnants of this city’s past Jan. 30 to pave way for its future during a joint operation here.

During the operation, Iraqi Army troops and U.S. Soldiers conducted a cordon and search and then tore down several abandoned buildings from which terrorists conducted operations, hid weapons caches and executed improvised explosive device attacks. The buildings were destroyed to prevent their further use by insurgent forces.

Continue reading entry »

February 7, 2007 12:26 PM

garyohdare said...

Military intelligence, jumbo shrimp...

Stonz said...

I don't know where to begin to tell you how comforted I am that you have been so well trained to go and do the job you will be doing(whatever that may be)!! So I guess I'll just leave it alone

Bean said...

O goodness, like I always say, if more people have, and use common sense, we wouldnt be where we are at...by the way, snow is fun!!

lizza8902 said...

Gee wouldn't it make sense if you already knew what information they were going to tell you so you could tell them what to teach you. Sounds like they really have it together.