29 January 2007

Brrr!

Ah. There is nothing lovelier than Fort Leonard Wood in winter. Just like there is nothing more enjoyable than smashing your own toes with a 5lb sledge hammer. It was 11 years ago when I last visited this place and a lot of cosmetic changes can be seen in the buildings and the layout of the various military vehicles on static display. “Back when I was a soldier at Leonard Wood, we had the base all to ourselves and didn’t have to share it with no stinking MP or Chem folks.” Gosh, I’m turning into “that guy” more and more each day. There are a lot of changes, but the weather is just like I remembered it... cold. As I was driving here from Dallas (I got bored at Benning so I flew to Dallas, picked up my truck, and drove here, which wasn’t the approved thing to do, but hey, what are they going to do? Send me to Iraq?) I saw ice and snow on the side of the road. Every copse of trees I passed was littered with broken branches from the ice storm they had here a few weeks back. Some folks are without power and I’ve even heard rumors that some folks are without cable TV! You may laugh at the idea of missing out on this entertainment luxury, but when it is a thousand degrees below zero outside and you have no intention on leaving your house, the average Missourian needs their visual entertainment less they start getting impure thoughts about their sisters. But I digress. It’s cold here, and the Army has yet to issue me the proper gear for this arctic weather. They plan on giving me some cold weather gear at Riley, but that is a lot of chilly days from now. I decided to bite the bullet and purchase my own but when I went to the military clothing sales store on post, I discovered that they are out of cold weather gear. How can that be? The temps tomorrow don’t go above 25 degrees and I had the idea that I was being deployed to a scalding dusty desert when I packed my clothes for this little middle eastern vacation. The best I can do is hope that they issue me a Tan-Tan so I can crawl inside of it when I get too chilly.

3 comments:

Big Bend said...

Cool GD, Glad to hear u r having tons of fun. I'll go with u 2 the sand box, vicariously. The spring guns shows r coming up. :-)

Stonz said...

Ok cold is cold.....want me to send you some warmer clothes? I can have them there is a few days. Mail them back when you no longer need them. The right clothing and your MI blood will kick back in to gear and you will be able to tolerate those temps. Let me know.
Love ya much

SecretAsianMan said...

Big Bend...you've got at least a year to get in shape to climb to the South Rim, so you best start exercising! :)

It's very cold here, but the clothing I lack is the issue military stuff that I can't seem to find around here. Clothing sales says they'll get new stuff on Friday. I'll see if they do.