15 January 2007

Death by Powerpoint

Death by Powerpoint

Today is the first full day of classes and we are at the mercy of the Powerpoint gods. Classes are pretty dull and dry. Most of it is admin stuff that, while necessary, is not something that will keep your attention for very long.

I am suppose to meet the POC for my new unit here tonight, but I haven’t heard from him yet. The night is still young though. Me, along with a handful of other Captains are all assigned to the same unit on our orders.

Now, let me take a second here to clarify some things. I set up this blog to keep my friends and family informed about how I’m doing during my deployment. Because the internet isn’t the most secure system in the world, the information I put out could be under the watchful eye of some less desirable individuals. For that reason, I don’t put my name on here and I don’t put too many details about what I’m doing or where I’ll be. I apologize to all the people who want more details, but the security is just part of the job.

The internet availability is pretty sketchy where I’m located. I’m limited to the short burst that I can send out on the cell phone and of the times I can get a signal, I can only navigate a page or two before it drops the connection. I can email blogs to my account, but unfortunately, I can’t read them or edit them once they are posted. They have 4 computers in the day room that have internet access, but the line out the door to get on them never seems to get shorter.

Tomorrow’s schedule is full of medical and dental in-processing filled with poking, prodding, and a slew of shots. Not a day to look forward to, especially when they issue you two MRE’s for breakfast and lunch. Any day that starts out with an MRE is not a good day.

No comments: