06 January 2007

Countdown



Yesterday was my last day of work. Granted, I still have a few things to wrap up at the office (performance evals, benefit changes, sabotaging the mainframe) but for the most part, I’m officially unemployed for the next 9 days. It’s a surreal feeling actually, especially when I emptied out my office into a little plastic bin and drove away. I know I’ll be back in less than 2 years so it’s nothing permanent, but it still felt strange.

I haven’t updated much due to the fact that I’ve been swamped with the holidays and getting my stuff ready to go. Thanks to my brother, I’ve managed to almost get my entire house packed up without renting a truck or calling in favors of my friends. He’s been a great help and I’m glad we’ve got to spend so much time together.

I woke up early this morning and realized that I’ve got about a week left to be a civilian and enjoy the thrills of wearing whatever I want and not being called “sir” all the time. I would like to say that I have some grand plan on how to spend this last week, like going to someplace tropical and warm, or hitting the strip at Vegas, or road tripping to some cool destination to whoop it up. Unfortunately, I’ve still got to close on the house, attend a farewell at work, and finish getting the rest of my stuff ready for the deployment. The 7 weeks I originally had just flew by and I’m scrambling to get the loose ends tied up. I’m not stressing, but I wish things were a little more relaxing.

My folks will be in the area today to pick up my aunt and cousin from the airport. I plan on meeting them for lunch or something like that. My mother has been jones’n to see me and my brother more before we leave, but I’ve been sort of busy to do too much visiting. While I can understand why a mother wants to see her kids, it is hard to accommodate more family time with all of the stuff that I need to finish. It makes me feel a little guilty, but I’m trying to make sure we have a few days together while my family is in town.

I hear boxes that need to be filled calling my name so I’m off to answer.

Oh, here’s a pic of the fam at Christmas. Argh!






No comments: