23 December 2006

Fence and Family

Spent the two days before Christmas helping to put up the rest of the fence that we started last weekend. Would have taken pictures of it this time, but the fact that it started raining right up until we finished, I didn’t have the time to get a good picture of our progress. A lame excuse since I just bought myself a camera that was dust/water proof, but it was probably too dark to get a good photo anyway. I’m not sure if the pictures would do it justice. With my brother’s help, we fixed a potential problem that got Ryan’s father fired from the project. We shall refer to this as the “Bledsoe Fence” incident in the future.

Spending the weekend with my folks and my brother. It’s nice to spend time with them for the holidays. Because of a lot of different reasons, we have not spent many of our holidays together as a family. Normally not that big of a deal because we are all grown up and have spent holidays apart before, but it’s just nice to hang out with them.

Family can be a pain. Let’s face it, if they weren’t then why would we ever leave home when we turn 18? Usually, family is something you can take in doses, and the length of those doses depends on how much you get along with them. As a typical teenager, I use to think that my parents were controlling, mean, and didn’t understand anything. Needless to say, I didn’t have the relationship with them that I would have liked to have had. But as I get older, and arguably wiser, I have come to appreciate my folks more and more, especially when I start to see the relationships that other people have with their parents. Holy cow! My parents are saints! Well, not really, but they sure seem that way I hear the tales of how some parents still treat their adult kids. I guess there’s nothing like seeing the misery of others to make you see your own situation in a new light.

Another good thing about these last few days is that I got to spend time with my brother. He lives in Michigan and I get to see him maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but it’s been good to hang out with him.

No comments: