06 November 2007

Zapper

Nothing raises morale like combining electricity and pests.

Yes, I have lamented about the bugs here, and my cries did not fall on deaf ears for my parents sent me a gift that is worth all the sea monkeys and Slinkies that a soldier could ask for to fill in the slow spots in the deployment day. My new toy is the bug zapper!


The new sheriff in town

Don’t let it’s toy like appearance fool you. It is a death dealing device that has slain many a fly, mosquito, gnat and other unknown (and later unidentifiable) flying insect. Just a push of the button and the swing of the wrist and POP! No more bug! Flies that would normally be shooed away as an annoyance are now hunted down like prey. The sight of a flying intruder in our area brings on the battle cry of “We got one...get the zapper!” as we scamper to the drawer and retrieve the device. There are even rumors that members of the team purposely leave the outside door open to let more flies into the building in order to meet their maker at the hands of the zapper.

Although designed to kill bugs, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before we end up hitting each other with this thing despite the warnings that this will hurt, and I’m not talking “snap a rubber band on your wrist” hurt. I’m talking about “knock you on your butt like you’ve just been tazzed” hurt. All I know is that I’m happy to have it here to break the monotony of the day.

We are a full week into November and things are getting busy. The increase activity is not so much a result of more requirements for us to tackle, but due to the fact that more people are leaving for their 2 week R&R leaves, it leaves the rest of us here to pick up the slack. That’s not a bad thing. I’m glad that people are getting to escape here for a short stint because that means that I will get to go on my R&R soon. To say I’m excited about being less than 60 days from seeing the people that I love is a gross understatement.

"Stay still Brendan...it's on your head."

No comments: