13 November 2007

Warm sewer pipes

It’s November and autumn has arrived, officially. I say that because last night was the first time I actually turned on the heater in my trailer. As I sit in the computer lab with my skull cap on I am reminded how much of a wimp I’ve become to cold weather. I’m sure living in Texas doesn’t help matters much, but when the mercury drops below 50 at night here, I’m one cold Korean.

How do you know it’s cold in Iraq:


1. You turn off the air conditioner for the first time since you’ve been here
2. The poncho liner on your bed just isn’t cutting it
3. You look ridiculous wearing socks with your flip flops because you didn’t ever think to bring slippers to a war zone
4. Bottled water in the box outside your trailer is just as cold as the bottles in the refrigerator
5. You think of your body armor not only as protection from bullets, but as a jacket
6. The vents in your boots to let out sweat and water now let in the cold
7. You realize that the insulating properties of plywood and tin aren’t so good
8. Hot chocolate replaces orange juice during the breakfast meal
9. Ice cream isn’t as appealing as it use to be
10. The stray cats and dogs hug the sewer lines to stay warm

When my old boss was here, he use to tell me that he looked forward to the heat of summer, which we thought was a result of him being in the sun too long. Later I found out that he wasn’t so weird and that he made that statement because when he got in country in the summer of 2006 it was hotter than hell. As the year went on and the weather got cooler, he knew that it would be time for him to go home again when the sun got high and the sweat started flowing.

The days are still warm but there is something about the wind that isn’t so “hair dryer” like which makes being outside not so miserable. Our blood has thinned a little in the heat and it will take us time to get readjusted. Plus, we have “snivel gear” to keep us toasty when the sun is down which, by the way, most of us thought was a preposterous idea to be lugging thermal underwear, jackets and insulated boots into a place like Iraq. I’m glad I brought it. I’m more of a warm weather guy anyway. I am learning that I am by no means a HOT weather guy, but I prefer the warm climates over the cold ones. I think it runs in my family as my brother hasn’t worn pants since 1992. Do I miss the heat? Not really. Will I complain about the cold? Probably. Am I looking forward to going home when the weather gets hot again? Definitely!

3 comments:

Alissa said...

I'm looking forward to you coming home when the weather gets warm too! :)

Bean said...

Hey I pop in every once in a while, to get caught up and see how your doing...Even though it's been a while, I know everyone up here will be very pleased when you go home, and are very proud of you and what you do. It does take a special someone of nature to do what you are doing. Thanks for going the extra mile!
Take care!

BBQ said...

Hey you KK ! I have a big Smoker that will keep you warm and fed as well ! Yea, ribs last weekend. Was thinking about you last week during the ceremony at work and do appreciate everything you do for us. Send me a quick e-mail when you get a chance Cpt. And man, shoud I send you some soccer style slip on s that might be better than socs and flops ?? Take care, AC