22 November 2007

Happy Turkey Day!


Gobble Gobble everyone! Today is Thanksgiving in Iraq. Back home folks are busy...well, busy sleeping right now, but they are dreaming of juicy turkey, pounds of sweet potatoes, gobs of stuffing and plenty-o-pies. Not only is today the big Turkey Day, it also marks the anniversary of when I received my letter to get recalled back into active duty. It's hard to believe that a year ago I was on my way out the door to head to my parent's house for some deep fried turkey and cranberry sauce when I tripped over the FedEx package on my doorstep that contained my orders. I often amuse myself by thinking of possible whimsical scenarios where I would leave the envelope there and some stray dog or big gust of wind would sweep the orders away and I would be none the wiser. Oh well. What's done is done. Complaining about it won't change it, and who complains on Thanksgiving? The airing of grievances is reserved for Festivous!

In honor of the day, I have a list of a whole slew of things I am thankful for. Here are just a few of them:

I'm thankful that I've survived 207 days here without anything more serious than a few blisters and hurt feet. Some folks haven't been as lucky and I can count my blessings accordingly.

I'm thankful that I live in a bigger trailer than Brendan and Kevin. Not that a bigger trailer is better...wait, yes it is.

I'm thankful that my feet do not resemble hamburger any longer (and I've actually started running again).

I'm thankful for Styrofoam because nothing boost morale for Thanksgiving than foam tanks and ships in the mess hall for the Thanksgiving meal.

I'm thankful for the 30 something days I have left before I get to go home for my mid tour R&R
.

I'm thankful for the countless flying insects that, along with the zapper, provide hours of entertainment.

I'm thankful for the great officers and soldiers that I'm deployed with who have become my brothers and sisters in this ordeal.

I'm thankful for kids who send drawings that say "We love you Captain Glen!" on it.

(insert mortar attack)

I'm thankful that the insurgents are bad shots with their mortars.

I'm thankful my friends and family back home are safe.

And last, but certainly not least, I'm thankful for the family and friends who send me support and prayers that keep me sane and safe. My parents continually send me their love and Alissa keeps my spirits up to make it through another day. Without their love and compassion, I would be a shell of a man.

I did hear something during our morning Thanksgiving services that inspired me to write. The chaplain was saying that today was a day of thanks (obviously) and although we would spend a lot of time today being thankful for the good things (health, family, friends, etc), we should also take time to be thankful for the bad things. Sounds a little backward, but he put it in terms that most soldiers can relate to when he used the analogy of PT and training. Both are not meant to be easy. In fact, a good work out or a field problem will be hard, taxing both your mind and your body. But in doing these hard things you develop the muscles and skills to tackle harder events down the line.

So as I sit here in the throws of homesickness during this family centered holiday, I pause to give thanks for the hard times because they will make the good times that much better when I do get home to see the people I love.


Happy Thanksgiving everyone.


I'm not the most patient of turkey eaters

Interesting quote of the day:

"Ingratitude is monstrous, and for the multitude to be ingrateful, were to make a monster of the multitude: of the which we being members, should bring ourselves to be monstrous members." From Shakespeare - The Tragedy of Coriolanus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glen, We are thankful for your safety and our prayers are with you. Continue to be strong for your days are short now. Stay safe and we send our love and support. Thank you for doing what you do to give the rest of us Americans are freedom. Take care. Love Leslie and Bernie

Unknown said...

Poor Tom the turkey...what did he do to you???