30 November 2007

Shredder



What you are looking at is probably one of my biggest accomplishments here in Baghdad. It is a project I did a few weeks back that was completed on time, required only a little bit of coalition aid, was not rejected by the Iraqis and did not cost the US government a butt-load of money. It’s a paper shredder. It was broken due to some missing screws that got sucked into the bin. I had put a work order in to try and get it fixed but it was taking forever to get anyone to address it. With a little help from Tom, we disassembled it, cleaned, it, and with the assistance of some yellow duct tape, we made it work. After spending most of my days behind a computer or talking on a phone, it was good to use my hands and my engineering brain to fix something that was kaput (Stacey calls me the “Swiss Army Asian” because I like to fix stuff). I was surprised by the sense of accomplishment I received from this little 15 minute task, but it was enough to get me through the rest of the crazy work day. I just wish that I could get that same sense of achievement from helping the Iraqis here. Sure, most of the missions we have to get the Iraqis on their feet are a little more complicated than cleaning out a jammed feeder on a shredder and repositioning the control panel circuit card, but finding that good feeling of seeing the fruits of your labor in regards to helping the Iraqi government taking control of their country is not easy.

There are nuggets of accomplishment here and there that you try to hold onto in order to justify your existence as a deployed soldier. Getting a maintenance contract for a piece of Iraqi equipment that they are just going to break again and again might seem like an act in futility, but for the time that it is working, it could help them secure their borders or prevent bad stuff from getting to a place where it shouldn’t. For the most part our mission is a team effort and the little things, although they might not seem like much, contribute to the bigger mission. It’s just hard to see it that way when your nose is buried in your minute task. I try to remind myself that we are moving forward, albeit at the pace of snail with a ten pound shell.

7 comments:

Jason said...

Glen - my count is 112. At least, that's what I tell myself. It helps with the insanity issues.

Anonymous said...

Your chain of command should issue you a letter of commendation for your ingenuity and for saving the American taxpayer the costly expense of contractor maintenance labor. Report this to Public Affairs as a good news story.

Ole Man Chuck said...

Son, I always told you that duct tape would come in handy. I'm a very proud father!!! I'm so glad that you watched your ole dad fix stuff in the past. R&R soon so we will see you soon. Love and Miss you.
Dad

Stonz said...

Just think of the name Stacey could come up with if you had your truck over there. We all know that EVERYTHING is in your truck!!!!!
Glad you accomplised something that made you feel good. You always have been a fixer!!
See you soon
Love ya

Stonz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BlondHairJew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.