01 July 2007

Internet Cafe

Internet Cafe

So, the computer is up and running. I’m in the “internet café” they set up for us at the base camp, although I’m not real sure why they call it that. There’s no coffee here, nor any means to make food what so ever. It’s nothing more than an old metal double wide trailer filled with makeshift furniture, a TV playing old VH1 videos and plywood furniture. There are 12 hardwired internet lines that are scattered along the outside of the room where the common soldier, armed with a laptop, can surf the waves of the web. It gets more and more crowded as the work day ends and people find their way back to their trailers, dump off their kit, and try to find a communal place to unwind from the day. There is a lot of energy in here which is a little loud for me, but I’m just here to plug into the outside world via Ethernet cable, check my email and access the blog. The mini-cubicles host a lot of different people. There are two soldiers on the far wall who are frantically typing on a chat to some distant friend or loved one. Three guys on my wall are looking over each other’s shoulders as they discuss what options they want on the Harley motorcycles they are going to purchase here with their combat pay. In the corner is a guy video chatting with his family, and after seeing the smiles of the kids on the other end, most of us overlook the fact the he is being louder than he realizes. Do to my crazy work schedule, I’m not sure how often I’ll be able to use this new base perk, but it definitely gives me a means to keep the blog updated a few times a week.
Interesting fact of the week: The military takes safety very seriously. Just look at this sign posted near the Embassy posted by the Safety Officer.

2 comments:

Mom of three in Michigan said...

Happy 4th of July! Thank you for serving! Mom and Dad say "Hi"!

SecretAsianMan said...

Hi Mom and Dad!