07 July 2007

Lucky number sevens

Finding the inspiration to write can be a chore at times. I thought about pontificating about the date (it’s 07/07/07 today... lucky number sevens!) but I’m not feeling very lucky. Instead I’ll just post some pictures of my trip a few days ago out from under the protection of the International Zone’s paper umbrella of defense.


Some pics of downtown Baghdad



Odd to find a church here, but they do exist


The billboard is made up of many small pictures of Iraqis



One of our convoy gun trucks that provide protection for us.


Me and my posse


Interesting fact of the day: Left handed individuals in Iraq are said to be “clever”. This is strange since in the Arab culture, use of the left hand is frowned upon because it is the “dirty” hand. Regardless of which hand is dominant, the left one is used for specific purposes that aren’t the most sanitary, which is why you never shake an Iraqi’s left hand as it is considered an insult. Did I mention that almost half of my team is left handed? Not that there is anything wrong with being a lefty because I’ve been told that they are the only people in their right minds, but it’s just weird to be surrounded by so many backward people.

4 comments:

BlondHairJew said...

Tell me about it. Kim and Caitlyn are definite Leftys. We think Alex is going to the dark side as well as he is using his left more and more. I'm surrounded!

Mom of three in Michigan said...

We have to keep this from my sister or it would go right to her head as she is a lefty and so is my middle little guy. The hardest part is being right hand and trying to teach a left hand child to write. It has been interesting!

Stonz said...

When considering all of this, keep in mind what your Mother is!!!!! And I'm obviously the one in my right mind........just ask me!!

SecretAsianMan said...

Judging from these comments, the number of lefties are on the rise!