01 June 2007

Deee-lux apartment in the sky eye eye! 5/13/07

Deluxe apartment in the sky! 5/31/07
.
.
I have a permanent room now. I no longer have to be jealous of all the individuals who have a place that they can call their own, with their very own sink, toilet and shower, for I too am a member of the "wet" trailer club. To sweeten the deal, they gave me a second floor room which sounds more glamorous than it really is. It's basically a trailer stacked on top of another trailer with a shaky porch system that I don't trust to hold much more than a person or two. The view is different, but the two major downfalls kind of take away from the "penthouse" façade. First off, we are closer to the sun. It might not seem like much, but when you are the room on top, the sun beats on the roof of your hooch which makes it nice and toasty, despite the A/C turned up full blast. On top of the fact that there is no shade up here, you also suck up the heat rising from the trailers below. Speaking of sucking up things, that brings me to the second disadvantage of residing on the second story. Mortars. Yep, we are on top, which means if the rocket men across the river get lucky, my downstairs neighbors have a lot of overhead cover. I can live with that though. It's no worse than my old hooch plus I don't have to trek across the base camp to find a bathroom at night. It's also much bigger than my old room and ten times more spacious than some of the other folks who were packed into a 8 x 10 closet with another person. I did lose Tom as my room mate despite my many appeals to the mayor of the base camp to move him in with me, but I did gain Ryan as a roomie. For those who don't remember Ryan, you will have to go back a few blogs and read the story of "Ryan of the 9 and a half fingers and the CIF door of doom". He works pretty late hours so I don't think I'll be seeing him much during the day. I'm lucky because at least I got stuck with someone I know instead of a complete stranger.
.
June is one day away and it feels good to leave May in the past. The more months I can get behind me means that I have fewer months in front of me.
.
.
Interesting fact of the day: There is no standard for stairs in Iraq. Normally there is an equal rise and run for every stair in the US, but here in bizzaro land, the stairs are of unequal length and height which makes the multiple trips of carrying bags from your old room to your new room a veritable obstacle course.

No comments: