25 June 2007

Day two

Day two
.
.

Things have been quiet here the last couple of days.  Almost too quiet.  Two days without indirect fire starts to make you wonder what the bad guys are up to.  If I was in a line unit I’d be getting suspicious that the bad guys were up to no good, but seriously, are bad guys ever up to any good?  The calm could be due to distractions that have diverted their attention to do something other than lob bombs into the IZ.  First, there is a major military offensive going on the Baghdad area.  When you have a dozen Strikers rolling down the street to deliver your eviction notice, you might not have the proper amount of time to sight in that rocket.  I could elaborate on the details, but your best bet is to watch a few minutes of the evening news to get a synopsis.  Then there is the victory of the Iraqi soccer team over Syria on Saturday that probably kept most folks glued to a radio or TV instead of setting up mortars.  We did get some sporadic “celebratory fire” over that one, but nothing that went “boom”.  Lastly, they announced the conviction of Chemical Ali yesterday which will result in him playing the lead role in “Dope on a Rope” some time in the next 30 days.  All of these things have somehow contributed to the relative quietness and lack of sprints to the duck and cover bunkers and frankly, it’s kind of nice.  Not nice enough to let your guard down or start taking unnecessary risks any time soon, but enough to make you breathe a little easier (and reduce the pucker factor slightly) when you move from one hardened building to the next.  

.

I have complete confidence that the mail system will be delivering my stuff today.  Of course this is the sort blind faith that will set me up for yet another crushing let down, but I’m still going to hold out that today will be the day.  

2 comments:

Stonz said...

This is just WRONG!!! You do not have the laptop but you do have the bill!!!! It arrived today. I'd be contacting Mr. Dell and let him know the proper way to operate a business is to get the merchadise before the bill. Would you go into a store and go to the cash register before you go get the merchandise? I think maybe they might be worthy of a few lines from that very creative writing your capable of!!
Love you
Mom

SecretAsianMan said...

Easy Killer! The military mail system has the ball now and I have to let them run with it. I'm just surprised because I've gotten packages in almost 7 days from being shipped from the states yet I can't get my computer? No biggie. I'm sure the mail system is busy shipping a lot of stateside morale and love to other soldiers here, so I'll patiently wait.