29 April 2008

Welcome Back

I just got word that the last of the Captain Mafia has returned from theater. After a similarly grueling long travel trip, Kevin, Brendan and Tom are now safely in the US and will go through the same 4 day out-processing ordeal that the rest of us went through. This may sound slightly silly, but I'm a lot more relaxed knowing that they are safe. I missed them.

When the regular Army deploys, the unit tends to hold that vigilant watch until everyone is home safe. Because this deployment was more like a smattering of individuals, the strength of the team cohesion resembled watery paste rather than the typical super glue found normally in the Army. This doesn't mean that we didn't create some close bonds over there. You couldn't help but get to know the people you worked, ate and shared a cramped trailer with on a daily basis. They became your adhoc family and confidants when the people back in the real world weren't there to share the in the enlightening experience we were going through. Who else could you share humorous stories of dodging rockets over a crappy meal of curried something in the mess hall? I could get all cliché about the strong bonds you create during a deployment, but I find myself reluctantly holding onto my hatred I developed during my stint over there. Besides, I've already cashed in some man-points for admitting I missed those guys, so I'll stop while I can.

So, welcome home fellas. Drink your 40’s and celebrate your freedom.



"I wonder if Girl Scout cookies go with 40's of malt liquor?"

No comments: