07 April 2008

Home...well...almost

Kansas. I never thought I’d see her rolling hills or lack of citizens with teeth again, but here I am, freezing my rear off on the tundra of scrub brush and cattle. Everyone is in a tizzy here as it appears that the state has a team in the NCAA basketball tournament. I’m following it much like I follow NASCAR, which is, not at all. There is so much of the current life here that I don't know that I'm not getting too wrapped up in who is going to win a basketball game.

I’m here at Fort Riley (again) to go through the final steps of me getting out of the Army (again). It will take 4 days of my life to shed the chains and so far the powers that be have treated us good by not making us do silly things to waste our time. Alissa made the drive up from Texas in my truck to welcome me back and it is great to see her (and my truck).

I consider myself lucky to have left when I did. The news has shown that things aren’t much better in the IZ and we have reports through our internal channels that we had some folks seriously hurt just the other day at my old FOB. It’s not a good situation there and I wish I could send our plane back to pick up all of my compadres immediately. It sucks to know that I am here and they are not, but I know that they will be home soon, and that helps me let the reality of being home set in a little easier.

No comments: