18 April 2008

Dog

Since I am homeless, I am staying with Alissa at her "aparment-o-animals". Now, let me start off by saying that I am in fact allergic to both cats and dogs. I love my girlfriend, but I think I love breathing a little more. Thank goodness for Claritin-D, for without it I'd be a weezing, rashy mess. When I left, she had one long haired cat (we'll call her mellow cat for now) that was just getting use to the river of snot that would drip out of my nose when I bent over to pet the furry critter. When I came home for my mid-tour leave from Iraq, her kitten family grew by one (and we'll call him fat cat) who was spoiled rotten.

Imagine my surprise when I got a phone call a few months back that said that she got a puppy. At first, the guys in my "office" thought it was great that she was thinking of my Asian heritage and was preparing a Korean feast for when I got home. When I informed them that I didn't eat dog meat and that I was allergic to dogs, they asked me if my girlfriend hated me.

The puppy (we'll call her appetizer) needs to be potty trained and torments the hell out of the other two cats who had reign of the apartment before the puppy was introduced, but overall the puppy is a good dog and her "cuteness" attracts a lot of attention. She resembles a small child in terms of the amount of attention it requires and you have to plan your whole day around taking care of it, which is something I'm not a stranger to since I grew up with a dog (and cats). It's just that I wasn't mentally prepared to take care of an untrained puppy when I returned from Iraq and it is taking some time to get adjusted to. Lucky for her that I don't follow my Asian roots that closely or else we'd be having some kay-go-gee for dinner.





3 comments:

Mom of three in Michigan said...

Welcome Home! Glad to see you back in shorts! Great pictures.

Anonymous said...

I am happy that you made it back home safely! Thanks for keeping us posted about your tour of duty in Iraq.

Bag Blog said...

Puppies are much like kids and only slightly less work. Could be worse, your girlfriend could have had a Great Dane puppy. I'm glad you are enjoying life.