01 April 2008

Kuwait

It is official. I am no longer in Iraq (and it's not an April Fool's joke either). After what was probably the worst C-130 flight in history, our group made it safely to Kuwait the other night. We are now in a staging area waiting for a scheduled plane to take us home.

The computer access at the basecamp so distant from the battle is slow at best, but it does allow me to send a note here or there to the folks back home to tell them that I am still alive. Being out of the IZ is a big relief. Although I'm still in the Middle East, I'm not in Iraq, and that is a good thing.

Not much to do here for the next few days but wait, which is one game that I think I have earned the right to go pro. Seeing as how I've waited almost a year to get home, a few more days shouldn't matter much. For now, I'll just try to catch up on some much needed sleep and get myself ready to re-integrate into the real world.

It's hard to relax knowing that there are still folks I know back in Baghdad at a time where things aren't the best. It would be easier to transition my mind to being a civilian again if I knew that the entire crew was safely out of there. They don't have long to go, but my thoughts are with them. Too bad my thoughts can't shoot down rockets.

8 comments:

BlondHairJew said...

YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I cried tears of joy when I read the news! Thank God that you are safe and on your way home!!!

blondehairjewsister

Unknown said...

Can't wait for you to get back!

Bag Blog said...

They don't call it "Ku wait" for nothing. Glad you are on your way home - have a safe journey.

SecretAsianMan said...

And wait we will.

Anonymous said...

Awesome news!!!!

Big Bend said...

It's good NEWS to hear. Glad you are on your way back.
Big Bend was getting hot early this week. We had a good time there, again. Some of the guys from work took their motorcycles and i took my 4X4 Ford as support vehicle.

SecretAsianMan said...

I've missed BB for two years now! I'll have to make up for it next year.