02 February 2008

Still Groundhog's Day

Today is Groundhog’s Day! Say that to anyone deployed here in Baghdad for close to a year now and they’ll probably tell you that every day is Groundhog’s Day (in reference to the redundancy made famous by Bill Murry’s movie of the same name). The days tend to get pretty repetitive; the schedules are the same, the people you work with are the same, and for some strange reason the meals are becoming more and more similar (tacos today, fajitas tomorrow?). Every once in a while there will be a wrench thrown into the mix, usually tossed in by a star-clad officer smitten by the “good idea fairy” that, contrary to the moniker, does not bring good ideas. However, for the most part, it’s the same thing day in and day out while you struggle to find something different to punctuate the ennui of it all. Alas you must be careful, for in your hunt through the field of clover to find one of the four leaf variety, you may overlook the snake in the grass that is waiting to bite you in the ass. I once heard a saying that war is comprised of days upon days of utter boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. While the terror is not something I’m necessarily hunting for, I long to at least finish a project or achieve a feeling of accomplishment out of my current missions to break the monotony of it all. Let’s face it, while logistics is important to the fight, it isn’t exactly the most glamorous or exciting job. No matter though. With only a little over two months of time left in country, I’ll plod along until I’m able to hand the reins over to my replacement, whoever the unlucky soul may be.

Oh, before I forget, while I'd like to take credit for the creative picture below, I have to give credit to Kevin for thinking it up. He thought it would be funny, but that's because he thinks "Asians + Tunnels = Funny".

2 comments:

BlondHairJew said...

While Kevin is right about Asians + tunnels, I think adding Asians to anything adds a little humor. Remember the movie Crazy People? "Sony, because Caucasians are just too damn tall!"

Big Bend said...

I'm thinking CADDY SHACK......