28 February 2008

Knick knack transportation

I’m being moved from my desk to make way for a new inbound person into our section. Unfortunately this isn’t my replacement, but one that will be working on the team to take over Tad’s position. So, in order to consolidate areas of responsibility, they are moving me out of the section to a desk around the corner and out of sight to make room for him. It’s probably a good thing according to that whole cliché “out of sight, out of mind”, but it still sucks to move for the fourth time and this close to the end of my mission. I don’t lay any personal claim to the desk I currenlty occupy as it is the third one I’ve driven since I’ve been here, but it does house a lot of crap in the form of binders of briefings that I’ve given over the months, folders of files that no one really cares about but me, and gobs of knick knacks that do their part in cheering me up when work takes a healthy steamy dump on my motivation.

Besides Pokey and Gumby, I have Mr. Bendy (your dependable, bendable friend!) in my collection of plastic figures I can pose on the shelf. I actually think this was a donation to my clutter from one of Kevin’s care boxes and it joined the ranks of my large army men, Legos and mini construction equipment early in the deployment. He’ll be one of many that I box up and move to the new location.

Mr. Bendy and his bent up 7.62mm round



It’s good to see replacements coming in, even if they aren’t here to take over my duties. It’s just another sign that the end, although a wily moving target, is in fact getting closer. It seems that not long ago I was praising the fact that I only had 50 days left to go until I would be leaving this place. Ah, those were the days. That count seems to be back up to 60 for some reason. Is that because of the leap year?



Not really sure why I’m suddenly getting more and more spam on my blog comments, but it might be time to turn on the ol’ filter.

3 comments:

BlondHairJew said...

60?!!! Are you serious? I didn't think they could keep you in-country that long.

Just say the word and I'll hijack a C-130 to bring your butt home if that's what it will take. Maybe we'll just have to call on the Michigan Militia for some help. ;) Between that and some heavily armed Texans, we might be able to pull it off!

Let me know if you need another care package.

unhappycamper said...

Ahhh, movement. Tis a good thing.

The second time I rotated out of Nam, I lost my job (NCOIC of the Mars station in Chu Chi) about 3 weeks before DROS.

I ended up drinking beer and chilling out. It wasn't all that bad.

Glad to hear you're getting short.

Unknown said...

Maybe they are counting your break in the states against you "365 days boots to the ground".