06 March 2008

Bizzaroland: Part Deux!

I think it is only fair to caveat this blog with the fact that I’ve only had one or two hours of sleep in the last two days, and of those brief cat naps, none were near the R.E.M. quality that a body needs to replenish it’s stores. No matter, as I’m not in Iraq, and any time away from Iraq can be considered a good thing.

I almost did not get here. On the eve of my transportation out of the IZ, a smoldering helmet fire burst into an inferno (compliments of the two star) requiring briefs and updates on a topic that was unfortunately in my lane. I scurried around to get the information to the people who needed it and thanks to a boss that was understanding of my plight, he cut me loose at the last second so I could go on my last pass. I can only hope that my absense doesn't lose the war for us.

It’s kind of silly to take a pass this late in the game, especially since I’ll be leaving country so soon (although not soon enough). I originally planned on just chilling in my trailer for a few days, giving me time to pack up the mountains of items that are stuffed in my locker and under my bed. With the many care packages and the occasional access to Amazon.com, you’d be surprised at the amount of stuff you accumulate during a deployment. Most of it is comfort items that I intend to pass onto the next lucky soul who takes my place (if such a person exists) while some of the more sentimental stuff will get carefully put in boxes and sent back ahead of me via the US Postal Service. Now if I could only find a way to pack myself into a box...

Anyway, I was convinced that the lack of a convenient chow facility at the FOB I reside on and the prospect of getting out of the IZ was reason enough to take the second and final four day pass to the same location that the Captain Mafia flew to almost 6 months ago. While our numbers are severely impacted by the multiple tasks related to the pending re-deployment , we do have three captains and a master sergeant in our ranks for a few days. Not too shabby. The trip was an adventure (as always), but the weather this time is much more hospitable than it was back in September. Instead of humidity making your clothes stick to your body or the air sticking to your lungs, it was a little chilly when we touched down early this morning. The day is warm enough to don shorts and t-shirts but not hot enough to make you spontaneously burst into flames if you don’t seek shaded cover.


I think I needed this break to get me away from the IZ and all of the things that have given me a pretty negative attitude lately. Most of the downbeat feelings are derived from the soul crushing office bureaucracy that has put a damper on morale as of late, which is why it was so important to actually get as far away as Uncle Sam would allow me. The other contributors to the distressing posture I’ve carried lately have followed me here, but they are not unnecessarily complicated by the stresses of daily work life in the IZ. Hopefully a little rest, a change in food options, and a maybe some time to reflect will allow me to shake some of these blues so I can return ready to complete the last few weeks of this here deployment.

Wish me luck.


Now, it’s off to find some food and a soft horizontal surface to lay my head.

4 comments:

Dana said...

Take care of the MSG.
dlt

BlondHairJew said...

Enjoy your long overdue (and much needed) break. Try to relax and wipe your mind clean of all of the issues surrounding you (here and there). The issues will still exist when you return, so no since in thinking about them during your leave. Just relax, have fun, eat well, and enjoy a little freedom.

B.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the pass, and look to the day when you will be heading back to the good old United States!

Take Care Captain!

Anonymous said...

Hello
From a long lost friend...Keep smilin...You are a very strong person and will make it through these final weeks just fine. I know this cause I worked on a project with you a couple years ago and seen the high quality of a person that you are...Heres a hint: Keep the blue horseshoe close by for a little extra luck...Take Care,