16 October 2007

Nemesis

My arch nemesis is back…

…and this time he’s not alone. He’s brought a thousand of his closest relatives and even a few hundred friends he picked up from the garbage heap across the river. All of them are converging on the IZ with one sole purpose to their maggot born life; to fly in my ear and up my nose. Argh!

As I’ve noted before, the weather is getting cooler here, which I thought was a good thing. I think it only broke 100 degrees once or twice this last week with most days topping off around the high 90’s. There is even rumor of the high tomorrow getting to scalding 85 degrees! The milder weather has brought about a second spring here. Flowering bushes and roses, reduced to shriveled twigs by the oppressive summer heat, are now replacing their dirty browns with shades of green and are re-blooming again with the onset of autumn. Brisk mornings, singing birds and blossoming plants are all good things, right? Well, they should be. Everything would be perfect if it wasn’t for the re-emergence of the bugs. I’m now hunted at night by bloodthirsty mosquitoes and the flies spend most of the day buzzing around my head forcing us to beat each other profusely with fly swatters to keep them at bay.

So it begs the question, is it better to have bugs harassing you night and day until you lose your mind or to have 120 degree temps cook your brain inside your own helmet? I’m saying neither as I wait patiently for winter to come to Iraq. Let’s hope it come soon as I’m not sure how much longer before we graduate from plastic fly swatters to bullets.
Oh, on top of the bugs, we are seeing other critters like our friend Fival here. He lives under my desk.


Even though I’ve changed desks from one side of the isle to the other, he still makes frequent visits in hopes that I’ve dropped a pistachio or other morsel of food. I wonder if he can be trained to eat flies?

2 comments:

grandpaM said...

as for you last post....maybe you and the mafia have become the mice in the maze

Stonz said...

Yea, you definitely need a bug kit! Since I can't send you some Arctic weather to kill some of those critters off, I will send the bug zapper and some anti-itch cream in a day or two. You can't live like that. It's just wrong. I hate bugs!!!!!
Stay safe from EVERYTHING
Love you