31 October 2007

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween everyone!

I have this tradition when I pass out candy at home. I load up the largest bowl I have in my inventory with candy and treats in preparation for the onslaught of trick-or-treaters that would parade through my neighborhood. When the doorbell rang or if there was scurrying outside my door, I would open the door really fast to see the kids in their outfits and give them handfuls of whatever pre-wrapped confectionary that I happen to have purchased the week prior. None of this “one miniature Snicker for the Ninja Turtle,” or “one individually wrapped Twizzler for the mini Mr. T.,” crap that I use to get as a kid. And if the kids have a real good outfit that shows they took some creative thinking to put together, I give them gobs of candy. This theory backfires sometimes because I once filled a small child’s plastic pumpkin to the top with candy because of her costume was that great. Instead of smiling or saying thank you, she looked up at her mom, gave the saddest little frown I’ve ever seen and cried, “Does this mean I have to go home now that my basket is full?”

Another Halloween I was recovering from an injury so my mobility to the front door was a little hampered. So, I just set myself up in a chair and when someone would open the door for me, I would just throw candy at the kids to see if I could get it in their bags or buckets. This bit of fun only lasted for a sortie or two as the kids tended to fight their way into the house to get the pieces that were deflected to the floor of the entryway. Fun to watch, but frowned at by parents with little tykes who could have been trampled by the candy grubbing stampede.

I also put a few cans of lima beans and pinto beans by the side of the door for kids who are old enough to shave or the ones who come begging for food without even trying to put on a costume.

This is a lot of reminiscing of being home right now and really doesn’t address what I’m doing here. Reason for that is we really aren’t doing anything different. We had a pumpkin carving contest and one of the generals passed out candy to the directors in our unit, but that’s about it. We do have fun with one of those motion sensor bowls that has a hand in it that moves when you try to take something from it’s clutches. It’s something I think everyone back in the states have owned or seen in the displays at the local grocery store. Lucky for us the Iraqis that work in our building are not familiar with these contraptions and it is funny to see them get spooked by the phantom claw that tries to catch their hands. It provides almost hours of enjoyment. And, just to up the bid for craziest Halloween in Iraq, Chris was locked in a duel to the masticating death in an M&M eating contest with a civilian in his section. Yes folks, after staving off diabetic shock and potential lock-jaw, he managed to down 7 bags of M&Ms in 6 minutes without puking them up. Ladies and gentlemen, let it be known that he is the person that will win this war.

Not only is it another holiday down, but it’s also another month of this deployment behind me. The more behind me means the fewer are in front of me.

The victor of the M&M eating contest

The pumpkin has done a lot of work here


This is the result of the combination of boredom and pipe cleaners

Yes, this is Rhino and he has not destroyed this pumpkin...yet


Pumpkin carving contest at the DFAC

4 comments:

wickedvox said...

Happy Halloween to you and all the others there with you! ARRGH! (i'm a pirate! lol!)

Big Bend said...

Awesome Pumkin display! The witch is a good one.

Mom of three in Michigan said...

Happy Halloween!

The kids halloween costumes were a shark, superman and a ladybug. They went trick or treating twice this week, which means lots and lots of candy. I've thought about selling it, although I am sure many neighbors and friends have the same problem.

Unknown said...

Which pumpkin was yours in that display??