13 July 2008

Summer Moving

With the help of two moving trucks and some dedicated friends, I moved most of my worldly possessions into the new house this weekend. Let me start off by saying that I have some great friends and that I also have a lot of junk. What was I thinking when I packed all this crap away? Hauling gear out of a metal storage shed in 100 temps isn’t my idea of how to spend a summer weekend but I’m glad to be getting closer to that “settled” feeling. I’m not moving myself into the house just yet. I’m still missing some appliances and furniture that will arrive in the not so distant future, plus I’d like to do some renovations to the place as it is in serious need of a coat of paint or two. Who paints their walls a chocolate brown? I had some estimates done on the windows and the A/C system that might just dwindle away the savings I stacked up during my deployment, but hey, it’s only money, right? They say it doesn’t buy happiness, but for about $15,000, it will buy you some nice insulated windows and an air conditioning unit that turns off every once in a while.


I went from having relatively no monetary commitments to having a whole mess of them all at once. Couple that with the rising cost of gas and I think I might have to explore some alternative transportation options.




"I bet the $100 it cost to fill my truck would buy a lot of oats."

3 comments:

BlondHairJew said...

Great pic. The photog must be an honorary asian!

I thought the cook drove the chuckwagon?

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to drop a line and say that I really enjoyed reading your blog. I got my IRR mobilization orders after being 'inactive' for only a year and a half. It'll be my first deployment to a combat zone. I'm glad that I could read about your experience as well as the experiences of the rest of the CPT mafia, even though it sounded like it sucked really bad.

SecretAsianMan said...

Be safe over here Harland.