20 September 2007

Summery

Summer has arrived in Iraq! Well, technically it’s felt like summer since we’ve arrived here 145 days ago but today, after a stroll back from a meeting at the embassy, I was struck by an overwhelming “summery” feeling that took me back home for a little bit. It could have been the fragrance of the pink and red flowers popping up on some weird bushes around here that made me think of riding my bike in the wildflowers back home, or it could have been the smell of fresh cut grass that made me miss, of all things, my lawn mower. I suspect the real culprits to my momentary lapse into nostalgia were the sprinklers. They keep the grass growing on the embassy grounds and more importantly they keep it green which is just shy of a miracle in this environment. I would have to say that it's almost unnatural to see so much green grass here, as if we were screwing with mother nature (kind of like breeding hairless cats). This accomplishment of course requires the constant movement of an assortment of sprinklers that are dragged to and fro across the manicured lawns by Iraqis in blue/violet jump suits (think Umpaloomas, but taller). Not only does it keep the vegetation alive, it gives off that “summer dew” smell that can only be replicated on an early morning run in June through a subdivision after the sprinklers have just watered the lawns. I would have given anything to rip off my armor and go frolic in the water (yes, I said frolic) but that might not be deemed appropriate behavior in these parts by a uniformed military officer. Besides, the Blackwater guys probably would have ventilated me if I got too close to their Suburbans.



"Get off the grass or I'll pop a cap in ya!"

Humorous quote of the day:

"I don't like my meat all stacked in one place!"

In reference to a captain's sandwich construction preferance in which she blurted out to members of other tables around her.

2 comments:

Ole Man Chuck said...

I can relate to the chopper guarding the lawn... we have to do that here at our house too!!!

SecretAsianMan said...

Wait a minute...you have to have a lawn to guard first! :)