31 August 2007

Micro Manage

Today was a day of frustration and I’m going to vent about it. Today I had to tell a field grade officer what color a generator was. Why in the hell did I have to do that?

I guess that doesn’t really explain my annoyance very well, does it? Maybe a little background information is in order.

Okay, so part of my job is to coordinate different aspects of the supporting the Iraqi borders; mainly the ports of entry. I work with different organizations so that we can coach, teach, and mentor the Iraqi Department of Border Enforcement to protect their country from unwanted outside influence (seems pretty ironic, doesn’t it?). In any case, I work with Captain Chris in our engineering cell to ensure that the construction done on site is completed and then report to the higher powers on the various statuses and updates that they are looking for. In a status meeting a few days back, there were some heated questions pertaining a particular generator that was suppose to go to one of our ports. The higher powers asked if the port had power, in which we replied that it did not, but a generator was going to provide power to the port and be installed per the construction schedule. A few days later, the question was asked of the status of that generator and Chris confirmed with the program manager on site that the generator was delivered to the location as previously stated in the meeting two days ago. Then, they asked if it was a new or used generator. Okay, that sounded like a valid question. We queried the project manager on the ground and he said it was new. Then, out of left field, someone who visited the site said that they didn’t see this generator and were concerned that the port would not have power. This caused a stir all the way up to the colonel level again and the question was asked “Does the port have a generator?” The answer was the same as it was a week ago. Yes, we confirmed, the port has a generator. It’s the size of a small VW microbus and it won’t be hooked up until later. But how could that be when a person who visited the site said he couldn’t find it? Well, the person visiting didn’t link up with the project manager who would have showed them the generator was there, waiting to be hooked up.

Now erupted the senseless questions, like a giant “stupid” volcano. Where is this generator? When was it delivered? What size is it? Who signed for it? What color is it? Does it prefer white or wheat bread? Does it have a sister?

At this point I lost it. I tried to call the person requesting this information to ask them why they were so freak’n interested in this generator? Why can’t someone give a status and be held accountable for that report without everyone and their brother asking questions that have no bearing at their level? Why do some individuals feel that micro-managing makes things better? If a colonel, who is paid much more than me, doesn’t believe me when I say something is a certain way, then why am I here? Why doesn’t he run the project for me? The amount of time and effort it would take to call down to the project manager and dig up the kind of miniscule information that was being asked for just so that someone could have their “warm-fuzzy” about power situation at the port would have cost the American tax payer probably in excess of $10,000.

This infuriated me. In fact, it made me upset enough to send a scathing email littered with sarcasm and attitude to the requestor (only because the phones were not getting through to his office) which I also copied to my boss. Subsequently, I was reprimanded for this and told that if I wanted to let off steam next time to go outside and kick the T-wall behind our building.

I think I’ll be beating up a lot of T-walls if this kind of stupidity continues.

I’d take an angry Asian face picture like I normally do when I get frustrated, but I’m too mad to do that. I hope my engineers back home read this and remember this story when I come home and re-assume my job as their team lead. I hope that if I ever get close to micro-managing their projects that they will be professional. I'd want them to compose themselves like a grown up, take a deep breath to clear their thoughts, and politely kick me in my shins.

6 comments:

Big Bend said...

So there is some simularity between the military and coporate life. LOL

Stonz said...

Well this could be a learning experience for you. Not to much different from when a 2 yr. old says WHY? and you answer and they say WHY? and you answer again and they say WHY?..................

Take a deeper breath and carry on. That's what your there for to answer their silly questions. Think of it as job security!!!!
Love you much
Mom

Dana Tucker said...

Laughing at An Numaniyah. I just put 2 major rants on my private blog, too, to celebrate the end of August.

I can completely relate to your story, but it doesn't hurt as much out here away from the flag pole.

My favorite bit to play is when those folks call with those questions, I ask them to hold on while I pull up the e-mail that I have already sent them, and read it back to them over the phone. Lather, rinse, repeat. I can keep telling you the same thing as many times as you'd like. Please do call again, and ask the same question.

Mom of three in Michigan said...

It is amazing how so many things relate to your story.

By the way, I just wanted to pass along that today is my Birthday. I am being a pain to all around me and celebrating it big today. I am not sure why now perhaps getting closer to bigger numbers is making me think I better start enjoying it or it could be having my mom and dad here. It is so great to have them here.

A funny story of being a mom of two boys. My mom picked up the kids today. The boys got in the back seat and started hitting each other. Nothing provoked it, they just started fighting. I may never understand it. Luckily, our little girl was in middle seat or she would have been in the middle of it.

Good luck with the T-wall!

grandpaM said...

i have worked with many a person in authority. there are some who know how to manage and then there is the other 5% who have to put there fingers in everything because they have the power and like to show off that they can do what they want....it is called the peter principle....a person will always be promoted to his/her level of incompetance

Unknown said...

I wonder the same things Glen. I'm like....it's my job, freaking believe me. I am going to take accountability! UGH!