24 April 2007

This thing is still on?

Wow. It looks like this deployment thing is really going to happen. Here I was holding out that they made some mistake and that they were going to send us home. No such luck. We’re on our final week of preparation, and before I get chastised for not writing very much in the past few weeks, let me just add that things have been a little busy. Obviously nothing of real importance or funny has taken place in the bowels of the Midwest that is named Kansas, which is why we’ve come to a consensus that the reason they send us to Ft. Riley, Kansas for almost 3 months prior to deployment is to actually MAKE us look forward to deploying to a war zone.

For some reason it is very important for Uncle Sam to keep the actual dates and times of deployments all hush-hush, so I’m not going to go into the details of it all. Let’s just say that in the coming week or so, I’ll no longer be on US soil. I’ll gradually lose communication assets as we get closer to the date. First will be the mail service (please don’t send any snail mail as I won’t get it), then the internet, next the cell phone (not that it works much anyway) and then I’ll be “locked down” so as not to leak any info out to family and friends who are desperately trying to find out what’s going on. I’ll pick up coms on the other side at some point and I’ll be able to relay the fun and exciting life of a deployed soldier.

These next few days are full of last minute details, like packing, cleaning and filling out the last bits of paperwork. Hopefully I’ll be able to post some pics of the weeks past that I’ve neglected the blog, but we’ll see how things go.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's to seeing you back home. Good luck over there!

blondehairjewsister said...

I enjoy reading your daily activities and antics...you have a way with the written word! I can see and remember you guys running around the neighborhood as well as my dad's house. Take care and stay safe!!

Stonz said...

I can't imagine what this year will be like with out you being near by. I will miss you terribly as I already do. Stay safe and remember how much we love you.

Anonymous said...

Be very safe. It has been fun reading your stuff. Be very careful

Brendan's Mom