25 August 2008

Cuddly fur ball or vengeful beast? You decide.


This is not a dumb animal.

So I’m sitting in the apartment on Sunday night, kicking back and watching the closing ceremonies of the Olympics (my crazy Asian brethren really know how to make a visually appealing display) when Madison the Wonder Mutt decides to turn into Devil Dog. This is not an uncommon occurrence for her as she normally gets a burst of energy towards the closing of every evening. When this feeling overcomes her she proceeds to run like a rabid animal through the apartment as if she is herding sheep (or cats, or people). She usually calms down after a few laps and collapses on the floor panting while we watch in amusement at this sudden display of amateur solo dog racing. This night, however, was different. Instead of dropping to the floor in exhaustion, she proceeded to squat down next to the kitchen table and water the carpet near the trash can. Now Madi is a good dog and is relatively house trained. She’s only a puppy and still has her occasional accidents that accompany the fact that she resides in a second floor apartment with limited access to acceptable potty areas. We continue the long and arduous process of training her to be a good dog by disciplining her when she does bad things. Our methods do not include striking her with a rolled newspaper or rubbing her nose in her mistakes as this is suppose to only confuse the animal. I’ve been told that this is the new and improved (and kinder) way of raising animals (just like kids I guess). While I might disagree, I comply with the wishes of the owner and landlord (because she’s hot) and just give the errant pee distributor a good tongue lashing ensuring that it knows this sort of bad behavior is not acceptable. The puppy, thoroughly educated by my lecture, sulked under the kitchen table (obviously to think about the folly of her actions). Convinced that my discipline technique was satisfactory, I went back to watching television. No sooner had I kicked back on the couch did my little fur butted friend emerged out from under the table, marched over to where I was sitting, and proceeded to pee on my foot.

Now, is this the action of a dumb animal? Maybe. While I argue that if she knew that Korean’s have been known to eat a dog or two that she might have reconsidered her retaliatory action, I believe she was just trying to display her displeasure of my style of punishment in the only way she knew how.

Note to self: Start a newspaper subscription immediately.

3 comments:

BlondHairJew said...

Fill a squirt gun with water and just kick back and hose her every time she makes a mistake. However fun this may be, it makes the dog slightly afraid of water. It does work though. Poor Ebo never did like water much.

She is definitely a vengeful beast. She knew full well what she was doing. Just remember that the dog is female and that vengefulness just comes with the absence of a Y chromosome. This is true of all species.

Big Bend said...

Modanna once said the peeing in the shower kills athelete foot. So maybe she was just helping out. LOL

Alissa said...

She's a cuddly fur ball! :) ...she isn't vengeful, she just knows how she wants to be treated!! lol...I'm just teasing!